Sustainability in business refers to a company’s strategy and actions to eliminate the adverse environmental and social impacts caused by business operations. As we face irreversible changes in the Earth’s system, the threat of climate change has become too risky to ignore.
Transforming into a successful sustainable business requires new levels of resilience and agility, which are dependent on responsible practices that preserve our planet.
GB Liners, with over half a century of international moving experience and proud members of two of the leading international removal alliances, FIDI and Harmony Relocation Network, is acutely aware of the need for Corporate Sustainability.
We are committed to actively support FIDI’s worldwide goals as detailed in “How to become environmentally sustainable in the moving business” and “Moving to 2030: The UN Sustainable Development Goals & the International Moving Industry”. Both reports are available by clicking on the links below.
How to become environmentally Sustainable
Moving to 2030
This is an ongoing commitment but we are proud to report significant progress as of August 2023.
Within the organisation:
- Customers are encouraged to opt for a video survey rather than the more traditional physical surveys.
- Management meetings wherever possible are held via zoom rather than physical meetings.
Within our offices:
- Replaced traditional lighting with LED bulbs.
- Using more cost and environmentally friendly equipment.
- Changed our heating systems with more efficient units and changed the management of these systems. We have monthly analysis of energy costs.
- Improved thermal insulation in buildings where possible.
- Our Brighton office uses PV cells (solar power) to generate its own electricity. The building was designed by BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) and is rated by them as ‘very good’. All electric equipment has to be energy efficient.
Within the way we operate:
- Our removal vehicles are continually being replaced with older vehicles using Euro III, IV and V engines being replaced with the most modern and efficient Euro VI engines. It is our plan to have our entire fleet will be using these engines by the end of 2023.
- Our removal vehicles are also aerodynamically shaped to increase fuel efficiency. Fuel usage for every vehicle is monitored on a month by month basis.
- Our cars are being replaced with hybrid and/or all electric vehicles.
- Our packing materials, both paper and plastic are made from recycled materials.
- For international moves we seek to use container ships with the most fuel efficient engines and environmentally friendly sources of fuel.
- We work with partners around the world that have the same philosophy and aspirations for sustainability that we do.
Social – Community Engagement Initiatives
Sponsorship of Luctonians Red Rooster Rugby team
Sponsorship of Hereford Cricket Club
Sponsorship of under 12’s Latchford Giants amateur rugby league
Sponsorship of Bartestree under 14’s football team
Sponsorship of Hereford FC