All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate, European move. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Hereford branch as our “centre of expertise” for Belgium. You can contact them by phoning 01432 272274 or emailing if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.

Living in Belgium

Advice on living in Belgium can be obtained from:

Customs Formalities for Moving To Belgium

Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.

If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.

Belgium Overview

The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Belgium, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Belgium on a transfer of residence basis.It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.

Customs regulations and document requirements for Belgium

  • Passport (copy including the page with customer’s signature).
  • Certificate of Residence obtained from the local Belgian town hall – copy is acceptable.
  • Change of Residence Certificate (for Belgian citizens) – this should confirm residency in the origin country for at least 12 months with start and end dates.
  • Proof of cancellation of residence abroad.
  • Non-valued inventory list or packing list in English, French or German signed in original by customer.
  • Certificate stating that the customer has resided outside the European Community for at least twelve months prior to arrival in Belgium (certificate issued by the Belgium Consulate at the place of origin) or employer in country of origin or branch office in Belgium.
  • For company moves, a signed and stamped declaration from the employer confirming that the transfer is required.

Documents required for export clearance out of Belgium (for UK bound moves)

  • Copies of Inventory.
  • Copies of customers passports.
  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you. (See relevant web page.)

Privacy policy
Terms & Conditions
Anti-Bribery & Corruption Policy
Antitrust Charter
Registered Office Details

© GB Liners Ltd 2022
All content contained within this website is the property of GB Liners Limited

We adhere to the British Association of Removers Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme which is independently operated by:

Local branches

Please contact your nearest branch regarding all removal, shipping and storage related enquiries.