moving home to or from india
Wherever in India you are planning to move to, whether it’s Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai or New Delhi, GB Liners are here to help.
We are able to help with single items, groupage consignments, full container loads, cars and pets. Naturally a full door to door service is available.
living in india
Moving and living overseas can be a daunting proposition but with our experienced International Team here to assist, we are on hand to provide all the help and assistance you need for moving to India. GB Liners have been moving customers overseas for over 60 years and in that time have accrued a wealth of knowledge and contacts that can aid and advise you on every aspect of your Indian relocation. Guidance for living in India be obtained from the link below however if you have any queries about Indian life, please do not hesitate to contact our International Team who will share their vast knowledge or put you in touch with one of our many international partners who can!
CUSTOMS FORMALITIES FOR LIVING IN INDIA
Documents Required (submitted/signed by customer)
- Copy of residential/working Visa.
- Copy of passport. (Original Passport will need to be turned over to Indian destination agent until shipment clears customs).
- Valued Inventory.
- Copy of Employment Letter or Transfer Letter is required for clearance.
- FRRO Registration (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) is required for clearance of Household Goods (HHG) for Foreign Nationals.
Documents Required (to be completed/arranged by GB Liners)
- Inventory of the goods in English (do not use the terms “Miscellaneous” or “Contents unknown”),
- Ocean Bill of Lading/Air Waybill (AWB).
- Authority Letter (sample provided by destination agent in India).
- Baggage Declaration Form (provided by destination agent in India).
- Indian Customs Declaration Form (provided
by destination agent in India).
additional information on moving to india
Indian nationals, foreign nationals including those of Indian origin, transferring their residence to India or coming to India on employment, can import their personal effects and household goods into India under Transfer of Residence subject to the following conditions:
- Transferee must have lived overseas for at least 2 years and must be transferring his/her residence to India.
- Transferee must not have visited India for more than 180 days in the preceding two years.
- Foreign nationals must have a resident permit/ business / work / entry visa or a Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card.
- Appointment letter/assignment letter stating minimum two years stay in India.
- Goods must be shipped out (shipped on board) from the origin country within one month of arrival of the owner into India. For air shipment, within 15 days after the arrival of the owner/passenger.
- The owner’s presence may not be required during customs clearance (for Bangalore and Chennai – The owner’s presence is a must for sea shipment and may not be required for air shipment during customs clearance) but owner should arrive in India before the shipment arrival and be present in country until the shipment clears customs or else demurrage / container detention will be quite heavy.
- All containers (unless diplomatic) are offloaded at port or entry/town of entry (POE/TOE) and reloaded into vans.
- All household goods (old and used) and personal effects are dutiable, but might get concessions if in owners possession for at least 1 year (and used) under the Transfer Residence (TR) rule.
- FRRO registration is mandatory to avail benefit of TR by Sea excluding Delhi Port. For Air Shipment Registration Application Form will work.
For further details on inherited goods, diplomatic status, motor vehicles, pets and other exceptional items, please do not hesitate to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.