moving home to or from canada

Telephone: 0808 1000 988
Overseas Telephone: +44 1242 536796

Wherever in Canada you are planning to move to, whether it’s Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver, GB Liners are here to help.

We are able to help with single items, groupage consignments, full container loads, cars and pets. Naturally a full door to door service is available.

living in canada

Moving and living overseas can be a daunting proposition but with our experienced International Team here to assist, we are on hand to provide all the help and assistance you need for moving to Canada. GB Liners have been moving customers overseas for over 60 years and in that time have accrued a wealth of knowledge and contacts that can aid and advise you on every aspect of your Canadian relocation. Guidance for living in Canada can be obtained from the link below however if you have any queries about Canadian life, please do not hesitate to contact our International Team who will share their vast knowledge or put you in touch with one of our many international partners who can!


Documents Required (submitted/signed by customer)

  • Copy of passport.
  • Advice notice/customs manifest – obtained from the moving company in Canada.
  • Detailed valued list of items included in shipment.
  • Ownership, possession and proof of use.
  • Receipts for any new items.
  • Previous airport or US/Canada border declaration papers (B4Ee/ B15).
  • Liquor import declaration (if applicable).
  • Immigration papers (if applicable).
  • Landed immigrant application (if applicable).
  • Visa (if applicable).
  • Work permit (if applicable).
  • Letter of undertaking (not always necessary).
  • Valued list of items.

Documents Required (to be completed/arranged by GB Liners)

  • Inventory of the goods in English/French
    (do not use the terms “Miscellaneous” or “Contents unknown”).
  • Ocean Bill of Lading/Air Waybill (AWB).


Duty free for immigrants if:

  • Household goods & personal effects, owned & used by importer for at least 6 months prior to importation.

Duty free for student, visitor, work visa if:

  • All items imported must be for personal use during the stay.
  • All goods must be exported when importer’s temporary residency status expires.
  • The goods may not be sold or disposed of in Canada without customs.

All shipments must be declared to customs at the port of entry (i.e. at the airport/US Canada border) when the transferee lands in Canada.

If entering Canada through an airport, complete the e311 Declaration card and ensure you have ticked the section declaring you have goods to follow.

eTA (Canadian Electronic Authorization) is mandatory before flying to Canada.

For the most current information regarding household and personal effects, please go to:

Shipments of personal and household effects can be subject to a thorough inspection by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

Any single item of personal or household effects, including automobiles, that were acquired after March 31, 1977, and are valued at more than $10,000 are subject to regular duty.

For further details on inherited goods, diplomatic status, motor vehicles, pets and other exceptional items, please do not hesitate to e-mail us at

Back to top