The Netherlands


All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Hereford branch as our “centre of expertise” for The Netherlands. You can contact them by phoning 01432 272274 or emailing if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
Holmer Road, Hereford, HR4 9RU
Mon – Fri – 8:30am – 5:30pm
Sat – 9:00am – 12:00pm

Living in The Netherlands

Advice on living in The Netherlands can be obtained from:

Customs Formalities for Moving To The Netherlands

Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to another country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

If you are moving to The Netherlands for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.


The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Denmark, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Denmark on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.

Customs regulations and document requirements for The Netherlands

  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
  • Copy of Visa for non-EU citizens.
  • Copy Town Hall Registration.
  • Z1 document – Customs Declaration.
  • Inventory List.
  • Pro forma Invoice.

Documents required for export clearance out of Netherlands (for UK bound moves

  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
  • Z3 Export Form.
  • Pro forma Invoice.
  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you. (See separate web page.)
Back to top