All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Brighton branch as our “centre of expertise” for Switzerland. You can contact them by phoning 01273 391777 or emailing brighton@gbliners.com if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.

1 Sea View Way, Brighton, BN2 6NT
Mon – Fri – 8:30am – 5:00pm
Sat – 9:00am- 12:00pm

Living in Switzerland

Advice on living in Switzerland can be obtained from:

Customs Formalities for Moving To Switzerland

Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving to a country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

For a move to a Switzerland being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.

If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in Switzerland (that is a home other than your main place of residence), the goods can be imported free of duty and tax.

Switzerland Overview

The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Switzerland, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Switzerland on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with our agent in Switzerland.

Customs regulations and document requirements for Switzerland for all importers

  • Original signed Customs form 18.44 (which we will supply).
  • Copy of passport (picture page).
  • Inventory of goods which we will supply.
  • Copy of lease or property title for the Swiss apartment or house.
  • Plus a), b) or c as appropriate.

a) Additional for returning Swiss citizens

  • Copy of Registration Certificate from local town hall. If this cannot be provided a Certificate of Deed Registration from the Swiss Embassy in London can be substituted.
  • Proof of staying in the UK for at least 6 months.

b) Additional for foreign Non-EU citizens

  • Copy of Residence Permit or approval letter from the local Immigration Department.
    “Zusicherung der Aufenthaltsbewilligung”/”Ermächtigung zur Visumerteilung”.

c) Additional for EU citizens

  • A job contract.
  • A Registration Certificate from the local Swiss Town Hall.
    Copy of Residence Permit or approval letter from the local Immigration Department.
    “Zusicherung der Aufenthaltsbewilligung”/”Ermächtigung zur Visumerteilung”.

d) Additional for second homes

  • A copy of lease or property title for Swiss home. Customs may also ask for evidence that you will maintain your main home/domicile abroad. Evidence through a rental contract or property title.

Duty free admission will be allowed when

  • The imported goods have been in use and possession by the Client for at least 6 months prior to shipping. The import of removal goods must take place within 24 months from the change of residence.
  • Second or additional shipments must be announced upon the main import of household goods and must take place within 24 months from change of residence.
  • Customs may also ask for further documentation such as a job contract, or confirmation of registration. Customs will insist upon an original Customs form 18.44. Copies/pdfs are not accepted. The original signature is mandatory.

Documents required for export clearance from Switzerland (for UK bound moves)

  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you (see relevant web page).
  • Copy of passport (picture page).
  • Inventory which we will supply.
Back to top