Moving home to or from portugal
All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Cheltenham branch as our “centre of expertise” for Portugal. You can contact them by phoning 01242 523785 or emailing email@example.com if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
LIVING in portugal
Advice on living in Portugal can be obtained from:
Customs formalities for moving to PORTUGAL
You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.
For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.
If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.
- People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
- There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
- New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
- Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
- Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.
The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Portugal, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Portugal on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.
customs regulations and document requirements for portugal
- Value and Import Declaration Form (signed by shipper).
- Copy of the Photo Page of Passport.
- Original Baggage Certificate (obtained from Portuguese Embassy or Consulate that includes cancellation of residence in the origin country and confirmation that the shipper has resided in the country for 12-months).
- Original of the “Atestado de Residencia” (from the “Junta de Freguesia”).
- Copy of the Visa (not applicable for EU Citizens).
- Copy of the European Registration Certificate (applicable only for EU Citizens).
- Copy of the NIF (Portuguese Fiscal Number).
These are the documents required for duty and tax-free entry to Portugal. However, the clearance process is bureaucratic and inevitably incurs delays and extra costs and so it is often a better option to declare a low value and pay the duty and taxes.
documents required for export clearance out of portugal (for uk bound moves)
- Copy of Passport and NIF (Portuguese Fiscal Number).
- Copy of the Packing List.
- Value Declaration Form (signed by shipper).
- Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you.