MOVING TO OR FROM LUXEMBOURG
All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Bristol branch as our “centre of expertise” for Bristol. You can contact them by phoning 0117 982 8141 or emailing email@example.com if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
Customs Formalities for Moving To Luxembourg
Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:
- People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
- There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
- New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
- Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
- Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.
You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.
For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.
If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.
The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Luxembourg, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Luxembourg on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.
Customs regulations and document requirements for Luxembourg
Private or Corporate shipments
- Original Application for duty and tax relief for personal belongings or property with original signature (Luxembourg Customs Form).
- Certificate of Employment in Luxembourg.
- Evidence that the transferee stayed outside of the EU for the last 12 months (e.g. certificate from former employer, utility bills, etc.).
- Certificate of Residence or lease contract. If no proof of residence is available, a deposit will be required by Customs.
- Proof that the imported goods have been in the importer’s possession for more than six months (traces of use on furniture/personal effects is sufficient).
- Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
- Original Packing list with signature of shipper.
- Form 136F Original document to be provided and completed by Embassy.
Returning Luxembourg Diplomats
- Attestation from Foreign Affairs Ministry (MAE).
Documents required for export clearance out of Luxembourg (for UK bound moves)
- Packing list.
- Copy of transferee’s passport.
- Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you. (See relevant web page.)