All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our London branch as our “centre of expertise” for France. You can contact them by phoning 020 8574 1285 or emailing if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
28 Armstrong Way, Great Western Park, Southall, Middlesex, UB2 4SD
Mon – Fri – 8:30am – 5:00pm Sat – 9:00am- 12:00pm

living in france

Advice on living in France can be obtained from:


Most EU Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • ·People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.

If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.

france overview

The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to France, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to France on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.

Customs regulations and document requirements for France

  • A signed completed Inventaire French Customs Form which we will supply.
  • Signed “certificat de non cession” (French Customs Form named Certificate of no sales).
  • Proof of Residence in France (Lease Document or Utility Bill).
  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
  • Company Letter of Transfer OR change of residence provided by the French Consulate in the UK (proving more than one year stay outside the EU required and more than one year expected stay in France required) OR a copy of your rental agreement or Council Tax bill (proving you have been in the UK for more than one year stay outside the UK required).
  • Personal effects need to arrive within 1 year of a person’s arrival in France otherwise duty will be applied.
  • Import of alcohol into France: Duties and tax will apply regardless of whether the transferee is a French returning citizen, diplomat, etc.

Documents required for export clearance out of France (for UK bound moves)

  • Completion of UK Transfer of Residence (TOR) application and generation of a Unique Reference Number (URN) number provided to us by you. (See separate instruction sheet.)
  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
  • If not URN is available, then a very detailed value list to be supplied and duty and tax will be charged.
Back to top