MOVING TO OR FROM CYPRUS
All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Shipping branch as our “centre of expertise” for Cyprus. You can contact them by phoning
01432 377477 or emailing email@example.com if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
Sat – 9:00am – 12:00pm
Living in Cyprus
Advice on living in Cyprus can be obtained from:
Customs Formalities for Moving To Cyprus
Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:
- People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
- There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
- New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
- Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
- Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.
You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.
For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.
If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.
The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Cyprus, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Cyprus on a transfer of residence basis. It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.
Customs regulations and document requirements for Cyprus
- Sale agreement of the property sale, or termination of the rental agreement in the origin country. If the importer will retain their residence at origin then the title deed will be required in the importer’s name.
- Utility bills form the origin residence e.g. electricity and phone bills.
- Bank account statement confirming you have funds in Cyprus
- Registration of your children at school (if applicable)
- Marriage certificate (if applicable).
- Acquisition of a house in Cyprus (rent or purchase agreement).
- Utility bills from the residence in Cyprus e.g. electricity and phone bills.
- Evidence that any children are registered at a Cypriot school.
- Evidence of employment in Cyprus. If the importer will be working for the same company in Cyprus, then a letter from the employer is required confirming the number of years of employment at origin and confirming the transfer to work for the same company in Cyprus. Alternatively a termination of contract at origin & letter from new employer in Cyprus.
- Original passport and presence required with customs.
Documents required for export clearance out of Cyprus (for UK bound moves)
- The exporter must present their passport to Customs in person and whilst there sign Authority to Agent *form (1002) to enable agent to proceed with export clearance.