All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our London branch as our “centre of expertise” for Croatia. You can contact them by phoning 020 8574 1285 or emailing if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
28 Armstrong Way, Great Western Park, Southall, Middlesex, UB2 4SD
Mon – Fri – 8:30am – 5:00pm Sat – 9:00am- 12:00pm

Living in Croatia

Advice on living in Croatia can be obtained from:

Customs Formalities for Moving To Croatia

Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.

If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.

Croatia Overview

The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Croatia, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Croatia on a transfer of residence basis.It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.

Customs regulations and document requirements for Croatia

Croatian Citizen:

  • Copy of HR ID/Passport.
  • Declaration of Ownership (verified by a notary).
  • Original letter from the Croatian Embassy in the host country that the shipper lived there from …. to……. (must show that the owner of the goods has lived abroad for more than 12 months).
  • Two copies of a valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian).
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary).
  • Exemption from customs duties and VAT.

    Foreign Citizen:
  • Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
  • Declaration of Ownership (verified by a notary).
  • Copy of visa / extended stay permit / work permit / proof of residence (minimum of one year).
  • Copy of lease/home purchase contract.
  • Employment contract or company court registration documents (self-employed).
  • Two copies of Valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian).
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary).
  • Exemption from customs duties and VAT.

  • Copy of Diplomatic Passport.
  • VAT number of the Embassies.
  • Original Letter of protocol issued by Croatian MFA.
  • Two copies of Valued Inventory of all items (in Croatian).
  • Power of Attorney (verified by a notary).

Antiques, Artefacts, Carpets, Paintings:

  • Restrictions apply – when importing jewellery/art antiques, these items must be registered upon arrival in Croatia.
  • No restriction on registered items as long as document from Croatian Ministry of Culture is available to show the presence of item in Croatia.

Important Note:

Shippers (Foreign or Croatian citizens) who do not meet these conditions must pay customs duties 25% VAT on the value of the goods and customs duties for the importation of household goods and/or motor vehicles. It is recommended to avoid the importation of electric devices, powers adapters, and toys without the CE mark. Personal motor vehicle cannot be imported by Croatian citizens without paying customs duties and VAT and a special tax called TROŠARINE on motor vehicles. These forms must be original, and they must be written in the Croatian language.

Documents required for export clearance out of Croatia (for UK bound moves)

  • Copy of the Photo Page of Passport.
  • Power of Attorney (Verified by a local notary).
  • Declaration of Ownership (verified by a local notary).
  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you.(See relevant web page.)
Back to top