MOVING TO OR FROM BULGARIA
All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for and arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our London branch as our “centre of expertise” for Bulgaria. You can contact them by phoning
020 8574 1285 or emailing email@example.com if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
LIVING IN BULGARIA
Advice on living in Bulgaria can be obtained from:
Customs Formalities for Moving To Bulgaria
Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:
- People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
- There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
- There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
- New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
- Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
- Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.
You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.
For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.
If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.
The following information outlines the documentation required for importing household goods moves to Bulgaria, to the best of current knowledge and belief. This is a summary of the documents required for household goods moves from the UK to Bulgaria on a transfer of residence basis.It does not cover cars, secondary homes, inheritances, or any other exceptional circumstances and for any moves falling into these categories, it is essential that you advise us of your circumstances so that we can check requirements with a local agent in the destination country.
Customs regulations and document requirements for Bulgaria
- Copy of both sides of Residence Permit (Bulgarian ID card for Foreigners).
- Copy of Photo Page of Passport.
- Inventory list with translation in Bulgarian and total value (or pro forma invoice).
- Notarized Power of Attorney to represent the shipper at the customs.
- Notarized Declaration for permanent stay.
- Documents proving the shipper has lived permanently outside Bulgaria (EU) the last 12 months (letter from employer, rental agreement, paid utility bills, paid taxes for the last 12 months or other similar documents).
- Documents proving the transferee will live permanently in Bulgaria (letter from employer, rental agreement, property deed).
- Copy of flight ticket as proof of arrival in Bulgaria.
Documents required for export clearance out of Bulgaria (for UK bound moves)
- Notarized Power of Attorney to represent the shipper at customs.
- Copy of Photo Page of Passport and Bulgarian Residence Permit.
- Declaration of the reason for the export (e.g. client declaration or letter from employer).
- Inventory List with values (pro forma invoice).
- Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you. (See relevant web page.)