All GB Liners’ branches have the facility to know how to quote for, arrange and operate European moves. We recognise, however, that not every branch can be an expert for every European destination and so we have therefore chosen to designate our Loughborough branch as our “centre of expertise” for Austria. You can contact them by phoning 01509 632850 or emailing if you require specialist advice. Alternatively, of course, you can contact your local branch if you don’t think you need specialist help.
9 Pavilion Way, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 5GW
Mon – Fri – 8:30am – 5:00pm
Sat – 9:00am- 12:00pm

Living in austria

Advice on living in Austria can be obtained from:

Customs Formalities for Moving To AUSTRIA

Most Customs regimes have several factors in common:

  • People moving to an EU country on a transfer of residence basis (i.e. moving their main place of residence from the UK to that EU country for work or personal reasons) are generally permitted to import their household and personal belongings free of duty and tax.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that the person moving has previously resided in the UK for a specified qualifying period, by means of presenting documents such as Council Tax bills, bank statements, utility bills etc.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove that permission for residency or employment in the destination country has been granted.
  • There is usually a requirement to prove identity by providing a passport copy.
  • New items (usually less than 6 months old) may be subject to tax.
  • Certain item are usually prohibited e.g. guns, animal skins or products, etc.
  • Certain items are usually restricted e.g. alcohol, tobacco etc.

You will need to be able to supply any required information or documentation before the move is packed, to allow us to have it checked by our agent in the destination country for confirmation that everything is in order. This is essential to ensure that there are no delays at the destination border due to missing or incorrect documentation.

For a move to an EU country being made for any reason other than a transfer of residence, then you should ask us to check the specific Customs requirements for your circumstances and this should be done as early in the process as possible. If, for example, your circumstances were such that carrying-out the move would incur a significant duty or tax liability then that may influence your decision to move altogether. It is essential therefore, that such issues are raised as early as possible.

If you are furnishing a holiday or secondary home in an EU country (that is a home other than your main place of residence), then usually you will have to pay duty or tax on the items that you are moving.

Customs regulations and document requirements for austria (inbound from uk)

  • Original ZBefr Form 2 or 2a (no scanned copy allowed).
  • Original Power of Attorney to the moving company to allow to them represent the client at the customs office in Austria (no scanned copy is allowed).
  • Copy Letter of Employment (stating that the customer has resided/worked outside the EU for at least twelve months prior arrival in Austria) or copies of gas, electric, phone bills etc. as evidence that the customer has lived outside the EU for that period.
  • Copy of Residence Registration at the local municipality in Austria (confirming that this is the main residence).
  • Copy of the photo page of the passport.
  • Copy of clearly readable inventory/packing list (in English or German).

Documents required for export clearance out of AUSTRIA (for UK bound moves)

  • Copy of photo page of passport.
  • Inventory/packing list.
  • “Ausfuhranmeldung” (This declaration must be completed by a professional customs agent on behalf of the customer).
  • Completion of UK transfer of residence application and generation of a URN number provided to us by you.(See relevant web page.)
Back to top